Sunday, October 9, 2011

Veggie bean cakes and greens

First of all, I can't tell you how excited I am with myself that I actually created a new recipe!  I'm NOT usually one to fly solo without a recipe (because I've tried that before and it was pretty much a disaster everytime).  But, today, I tried something that the kids actually loved!!!  Woohoo!  Well, my husband wasn't there to taste it tonight - and he's my ultimate taste tester, because he is the chef in the family - BUT, the kids and I really loved it!  I will say, it probably needs a bit more herbs or something, but it still tasted good to me.  Here is the recipe:

1st, Steam or boil cubed sweet potatoes and carrots.
2nd, get some rice going (1/4 cup of dry white rice) to make 1/2 cup 

3rd, saute ingredients below:
1/2 onion
2 minced cloves of garlic
1/5 of a yellow pepper (I wasn't sure if the kids would like this, so I didn't put alot!)

(Saute above ingredients w/ grapeseed oil) until tender and then add for 2 minutes:

1 TB chopped fresh oregano (fresh from my garden - yay!)
1 TB chopped fresh basil

4th, preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Or, you could just brown each side of the below patties in a skillet on medium heat w/ a tiny bit of grapeseed oil.

5th, throw in Vita-Mix or food processer ALONG WITH sauteed things above:

1/2 cup of cooked sweet potatoes (I had some left over from our sweet potato pancakes this morning!)
1/2 cup of cooked white rice (more leftovers!)
1 can of Great White Northern Beans (drained/rinsed)
2 TB of egg that has been beaten
1/2 cup - 3/4 cup of cooked carrots (I steamed mine)

Put brown rice flour in bowl (or any kind of crumb mixture - we're gluten-free here, so that's what I used), and spoon out globs of mixture into and work flour into until you can form into patties.  Put on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes on 1 side, flip and bake for another 10 minutes on other side.  Sprinkle a bit of sea salt on it to taste.

We had some collard greens (I think?) or some kind of greens that I got from my friend's CSA while she was on vacation, and I steamed those to go on the side.  Steam greens for 5 minutes.  I actually steamed mine a bit too long I think for 6-7!

YUMMO!!  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!  The picture is not very good - sorry, don't have a fancy camera!  Hopefully you get the idea of what it should look like.  I actually did some in the skillet and browned them a bit in just a tiny bit of grapeseed oil.  You could also do that - I actually liked the skillet ones better I think, even though they both pretty much tasted the same.  So, this 1st picture is of Mitchell choking down his greens - he did NOT like these, but he was willing to eat them all for a 3rd Veggie bean cake :)  Evelyn took that picture - she was taking a bunch of pictures!  HA!  The 2nd picture is of him finishing up his Veggie bean cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment