Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What to do with all that Halloween candy???

If you're like me, you can NOT have candy around the house or you will eat it!!  And, those of you who know me, I strive to really live a healthy lifestyle and have very strong convictions about it - but even I struggle with eating that junk if it is just sitting there right in front of me!!  (Maybe also because I'm pregnant...sometimes even the strongest convictions fly right out the window when you have a really good excuse! HA!)  But, anyways, so...the solution, GET IT OUT OF THE HOUSE!!! NOW!!!!  So, here is one thing we've been doing the past 2 years, and we are about to go again today...do the Halloween Candy Buy Back program!  This is a program where local dentists will give your child $1 for every pound of Halloween Candy, and they will in turn send it to troops overseas.  My children like to know that it treating the soldiers as well.  You can go to this link to type in your zip code to find a dentist near your area who is participating.  Some only do it the day after Halloween, but the dentist we go to is still doing it today - so call, it might not be too late!  http://www.halloweencandybuyback.com/search-results.html   I do let my children have about 10 pieces of Halloween candy, and then we give the rest away.  I try to steer them clear of candies that I know have a lot of yucky ingredients, like fake colorings, hydrogenated oils, aspartame and things like that.  I have taught them to identify those and steer clear of them.  Good luck, this is NOT an easy battle being a parent!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment